With the death toll hitting 106 in China according to latest reports, Coronavirus is the new virus that everyone’s worried about. Contagious and deadly, prevention seems to be better than cure. Here’s what can be done to prevent it and protect yourself.
A kind of common virus, with symptoms as:
- difficulty in breathing
It causes infection in the nose, throat, sinus and results in illnesses such as a common cold or in severe cases, pneumonia and even kidney failure. In fact, the symptoms are similar to Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-CoV) and the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS-Cov). The virus is transferred between animals and humans making it zoonotic by nature.
However, there are easy ways to protect yourself from the infection.
- Regularly and thoroughly wash your hands with soap and water, preferably warm, for at least 20 seconds. If not soap and water, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Cover your nose and mouth while sneezing or coughing with a tissue.
- Avoid touching your eyes, mouth, nose, in fact, your face, with unwashed hands.
- Stay away from those with a cough, cold or fever.
- In open spaces and live markets, stay away from unprotected and direct contact with live animals.
- Thoroughly and regularly clean objects and surfaces that are frequently touched with a clean cloth.
- Avoid any raw non-vegetarian food and if consuming it, ensure that it’s cooked thoroughly.
If you have a sore throat, fever and difficulty in breathing, it’s best to get a thorough check-up done and protect yourself from this life-threatening illness.
ThinkRight is now available on Telegram. For handpicked stories every day, subscribe to us on Telegram