You are what your deepest desire is. As your desire is, so is your intention. As your intention is, so is your will. As your will is, so is your deed. As your deed is, so is your destiny.
With the advent of the New Year, we all (well, most of us) gear up to list down our resolutions. But unfortunately, by the second week of the New Year, 99% resolutions peter down. This has become an inevitable custom with so many of us. Then what is the correct way of staying strong with our resolutions?
Well, the first way is to differentiate between wishful thinking that takes us nowhere (most of our resolutions) and intentions that do get realized. Simply wishing to achieve a goal without having a strong conviction about it is a waste of time. Instead, setting SMART intentions and acting upon them is life-transforming.
Here’s the way to set and achieve your intention for the New Year.
- Dedicate some time for introspection and decide what is it that would enhance the quality of your life and add value to your journey of personal growth. Then evaluate it on the SMART parameters. For an intention to be SMART, keep it:
- The next step is to write it down in the form of a statement. For example, if you want to quit smoking, you can write, “I will quit smoking by January 30, 2018.” Or, “I will have a company registered against my name by July 1, 2018.”
- Now we come to the visualisation part of setting your intention. That is because the mind is only capable of processing visual data. Once you have put your intention out in the Universe, work towards sustaining that intention by visualising it 21 times a day for a minimum of 21 days at a stretch. This helps in getting your intent being imbibed by your subconscious mind.
- Support your resolve by experiencing the emotions that you will feel after realizing your intention. The trick is to fill yourself with the excitement and joy of achieving your goal, to support your visualisation, so that the mind has enough fuel to carry on with its work of coming up with apt advice and suggestions.
- Once your mind comes up with ideas and suggestions pertaining to the fulfillment of your intention, act upon them immediately instead of dilly-dallying. Thinking about how things cannot be done will only put you on the back foot. What has to go wrong will always go wrong, no matter how well-prepared we are to put out the fire. We only need to put the ball in motion and everything else will be taken care of by the universe.
- Do not wait for things to fall in your lap. Go out and do your job. The Universe will provide for you. But for you to taste the fruit of your hard work, that hard work has to be put in by you.
ThinkRight.me, Your Emotional Fitness App! You can now download and subscribe to the App here.